Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wisdom and technology

I use content from the internet, digital media, software applications, and hardware systems everyday for both business and personal reasons. For instance, I use the internet for online banking in two different countries, which, twenty years ago, the simplicity of such would be unheard of. I also have an extensive digital media collection on itunes, and I have recently started storing some new downloads on a cloud player to free up space on my hard drive. Having two musicians in the house makes these tools invaluable.

Facebook is something I use hopefully in an informed way. I stay in touch with friends I would otherwise loose touch with, such as students of mine who have graduated but still want me to see their current recitals or to just have simple chats. I’m not a collector of Facebook friends as some are because I think people put themselves at risk of loss of privacy with this mind-set. The Burnside gallery experiment was a logical and very bold explanation of this. The reality of people one doesn’t even know, just staring at you -- because they can -- is a great metaphor to what indeed happens on Facebook and the rest of the internet. It is easy to assume, though, that it is not occurring because one can't see it happening. Keeping up with old friends and neighbors and people who I would, otherwise have no way of maintaining a relationship with, is what I use Facebook for, and for sharing tidbits of things that I think are important.

The internet in general has proven to be an amazing way to find people, but it is also an amazing way to stalk people, as the younger generation now say. I am guilty of looking up old flames and various characters I’d otherwise choose no contact with, just to see where they are and what they are up to. My own actions teach me (and I consider myself a fairly normal person) to keep my internet presence carefully thought through when it comes to self presentation and privacy. I maintain a google alert for both myself and my daughter for our names as another way to minimize our online risk.

Taking a course such as this is important, but it will eventually need updating as technology is swiftly changing. It’s helpful to have a teenage child, but truly, while younger people may have the ability to get around with ease, having cultivated wisdom and ethical judgment through having lived so many years is, in my view even more valuable.

1 comment:

  1. Boy...really good point you make about someone that isn't known having the ability to just stare at you in some sort of digital voyeurism. However,I am as guilty as you for looking up old flames. I think this sort of curiosity is normal.

    I was flabbergasted when an old girl friend of mine from over 10 years ago contacted me just a few days ago on my linkedin account. I didn't mine though..it was good hearing from her and to see that she is doing well.

    You are right about the constant evolution of technology. It seems like a waste of time learning new software programs at my office. These vendor specific programs come and go so rapidly I admit I don't bother learning them. I know the reality is that by the time I learn all the nuances and functions of the software, the vendor's product may not have application to my market any longer.

    ReplyDelete