Technology played a small role in my early life. There was a television with tubes that occasionally needed to be replaced, a transistor radio on the kitchen counter and eventually a stereo system in the dining room. It wasn't until the early '90s when someone gave me their unwanted word processor, one that used cassette tapes, that I owned my first "computer". When the first iMac came on the scene, I bought it and was on dial-up internet for the first time. I learned from my iMac to never buy a "first generation" electronic product -- only because the upgrade the following year had many more cool features. I've been on a Mac since -- a Mini, and now a very functional Macbook with 'Intel inside'.
My first few university courses were done on interactive television when I lived in rural BC. This served as an inspiration for ways that I now use technology for teaching. At that time, I learned Interactive TV was used by scientists carrying out studies in the very far north. Of most interest to me was that the scientific institutions invited violin teachers to teach over Interactive TV or ITV to enhance cultural pursuits and life in the far north. I found remarkable video of Innu playing from their virtual lessons. When SKYPE came on the scene, I copied this idea and began to teach my violin/viola students as they traveled or moved around the world. I also use SKYPE at home when someone just can't make it to my studio, or has lice ;-) There are limitations with this technology, however, the idea of the Age of Communication is now a part of my everyday life.
Catherine,
ReplyDeleteIt is so interesting that you use Skype to teach your students when necessary. I have disliked technology in general for a long time- it is too artificial for my taste. But I know that is silly and your experience is inspiring to me as a way to incorporate technology and use it for something beautiful and meaningful- music and teaching. My husband's grandmother lives in Russia and has only seen her great-grandchildren (our three children) once in her life. She loves them very much, and dreams of seeing them, but it just hasn't been possible for us to travel to see her in the last four years. Recently we purchased a camera for our computer and connected with her on Skype. She was absolutely elated. She went on and on about how remarkable it was and if only her grandma could see what amazing things we could do now she just wouldn't believe it. It was like science fiction, she said. I was never a fan of science fiction, either, but I do appreciate getting to see Grandma. It is a real gift.