Monday, April 4, 2011

"Technology has been hailed as a mechanism to promote learning and facilitate the free flow of information around the world." Reflecting on this statement, technology has aided my personal learning in significant ways, the first being through the portability of education. Being able to participate in classes, in a disembodied form -- first on interactive television, and now, in online classrooms, has profoundly supported me as a non-traditional adult learner. For instance, I am writing this blog post while sitting in a dentist's office while my daughter gets a cavity filled. The flexibility and opportunity found in the non-traditional time management of online classes, is a perfect match for the non-traditional student, promoting overall success.

A second way technology has supported my academic pursuits, is through the ease of word processing. During my first attempt at university shortly after high school, I found writing on a typewriter eternally frustrating. With the onset of technology in education, easy to use templates combined with the delete key supports "writing out loud" and just writing in general. Technology also efficiently helps me research, organize and write long, often complicated papers.  

I am unable to think of any ways technology has hindered me academically. Technology, is a significant promoter of quality outcomes in education. 

3 comments:

  1. I can recall the use of the ditto copy machine prior to the photocopy machine. You had to type your document onto a ditto copy sheet then ink up the machine and basically run your copies like a mini printing press. People complain about changing the toner in a photocopier, that is easy compared to dealing with the ink. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that technology has allowed adult learners a lot of freedom in taking classes. I am able to take this class without upsetting my work and class schedule too much. I think the only thing I miss a little is physical or visual cues from other students that I get in my other classes. There we can see when we are getting frustrated and help each other out rather than wait for a response in a forum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree. As much as copying is maligned in education, a quick peek at a friend's work to cue the steps in learning, is invaluable. Also, while I do feel supported is certain online classrooms, it takes specific ways (verbal/written) and means (actual set-up of moodle) by the teacher to in-fact create an intimate and meaningful online setting for the students to be able to share.

    ReplyDelete